San Diego Divorce Attorneys
- Restraining Orders
- Temporary Custody
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Division of Marital Assets
- Identification of Marital Assets
- Valuation of Assets
- Support Modifications
- Non-payment of Support
- Custody Time-share
- Move Away Custody
A divorce is one of the most vulnerable times in a person's life. The outcome of a divorce case will impact all aspects of a person's life for decades to come. Divorce is one of the primary causes of domestic violence, bankruptcy and a wide range of childhood developmental issues.
At the Law Office of Thomas M. Huguenor, you will find a firm of San Diego divorce lawyers and legal professionals who focus exclusively on providing high-quality, aggressive legal representation to clients facing divorce, child custody and spousal and child support issues. Our firm is dedicated to fighting for the rights of clients in Family Law courthouses throughout the San Diego area, including the Madge Bradley Courthouse and the 6th Avenue locations in San Diego; the North County Division on South Melrose in Vista; and the East County Division in El Cajon.
Thomas M. Huguenor has handled thousands of divorce cases spanning more than four decades. Admitted to the practice of law in California in 1972, he earned his credentials as a board-certified specialist in Family Law (a distinction held by fewer than 1 in 200 California attorneys) in 1981. Attorney Huguenor holds the top AV peer-rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the agency's highest distinction for professional excellence as confidentially judged by an attorney's legal colleagues.
The Law Office of Thomas M. Huguenor was founded with the sole purpose and vision of providing clients with aggressive, high-powered legal representation in divorce, child custody and other Family Law cases in the San Diego area. We believe everyone is entitled to the sound and experienced legal advice of a veteran Family Law attorney and offer free and confidential consultations to discuss your rights.
By focusing exclusively on Family Law, our office has the dedicated resources, knowledge, experience necessary to ensure that your receive the settlement you need and deserve. Our professional relationships with accountants, property appraisers and other legal and financial professionals are another tool we use to secure your quality-of-life and the future financial well-being of you and your family.
Divorce in California is available on just two grounds: Irreconcilable Differences or Incurable Insanity. As a practical matter, all divorces are filed based on the irreconcilable differences of the two parties.
California Divorce and Marital Property
In California, so much depends on the quality of your attorney and the knowledge and experience of your law firm. California law dictates that marital assets be evenly divided. But an endless number of issues and complications can seriously jeopardize a divorce settlement:
- What constitutes a marital asset?
- Who is conducting the valuation of marital property?
- Is the home value based on the purchase price or current market value?
- Has a spouse hidden assets in preparation for a divorce?
- What about retirement accounts?
- What are the liabilities and who is responsible?
- If you lose the house and remain on the mortgage, will you be held responsible in the event of default?
- Has a spouse taken out credit cards in your name? And what about other joint liabilities?
- Who will pay the property taxes and income taxes for this year? Is the IRS owed additional money? What if an IRS audit or other tax dispute arises after a divorce is finalized?
Child Custody/Child and Spousal Support
California law provides a set schedule for determining child support based on income. But what constitutes income? There is no set schedule in San Diego County for spousal support. Instead, judges rely primarily on court opinions, judge's orders and case law dating back decades. The attorney who is most prepared, has done the most thorough job of investigating, and who has the most knowledge and experience of the law, will likely prevail.
Again, you attorney will need to be prepared for all issues that could arise as a result of a child custody or support dispute:
- How long will you receive spousal or child support payments?
- Who is responsible for a child's medical insurance and medical expenses?
- Who is paying for college?
- What income will be used to determine support?
- What happens if a custodial parent moves out of state?
- What about abuse allegations?
- What if a former spouse loses a job or gets a promotion?
- What is in "the best interest of a child" and who decides?
At the Law Office of Thomas M. Huguenor we understand the pain, anger, uncertainty and frustration that often accompany a divorce case. The outcome can impact your relationship with your child for the rest of your life. Finances can be devastated and some spouses never recover from a badly executed divorce.
Don't trust your future - or the future of your children - to a random attorney you found in the phone book or on the Internet. Call the Law Office of Thomas M. Huguenor today for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your rights.
Call Today - 858 458 9500 - Free Consultation