About Attorney Amelia J. Mattis
Amelia J. Mattis is an owner in the law firm of Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C.
Ms. Mattis has represented clients in a variety of complex family law issues and has successfully litigated multi-day trials on behalf of the firm. She has prevailed in court regarding child custody move-away and relocation issues, defeated unwarranted requests for restraining orders, obtained court-ordered domestic violence restraining orders (DVROS) for clients who needed protection, prevailed in a variety of child custody requests and in opposition to child custody order modifications.
She is adept at the DissoMaster™ program the family courts use to calculate support and is able to work with clients to give them a projection of what support orders they can expect to receive or pay, as well as how to successfully apply for a reduction or increase in support. She has prevailed in evidence hearings involving issues to terminate spousal support. Amelia is skilled in "discovery" issues (such as interrogatories and depositions), which has successfully allowed significant evidence to be received by the Court.
Attorney Mattis enjoys working closely with clients to help them communicate effectively to the Court the issues that are important to them. She understands the process can be overwhelming and confusing and ensures clients understand their rights and options. She is sensitive to the delicate nature of client concerns and has experience with cases where domestic violence or child abuse is alleged, as well as obtaining child welfare services (CWS) and police reports.
Amelia graduated law school cum laude and was a staff member and editor on her school's law review. She was awarded several scholastic honors from her law school. Prior to that, Amelia graduated summa cum laude from the University of San Diego. She was a member of the Communications Studies Honor Roll.
- J.D., Thomas Jefferson School of Law
- B.A., University of San Diego
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law Family Law Clinic
- AmeriCorps Fellow, Catholic Charities Migration & Refugee Services
- Casa Cornelia Law Center
- Editor, Thomas Jefferson School of Law Review
- Law Students for Reproductive Justice
- International Law Society
- Lambda Pi Eta
Awards and Memberships
- Selected as a Rising Star by the American Institute Of Legal Advocates 2018
- Designated Top 40 Under 40 in California by the American Academy of Attorneys 2018
- Top 40 Young Lawyer with the National Alliance of Women in Law
- Selected as Top 10 Family Law Attorney by Attorney And Practice Magazine