New Year’s Resolutions to Make After Divorce
Divorce is never an easy process. It involves a re-thinking of every aspect of your life, from how you save for retirement to what your children need to thrive.
Whether you’ve recently finalized a divorce or you’re still weighing your options, you can help set goals and stay optimistic by creating a list of resolutions to make after a divorce. Here are some popular options:
- Model for your children what a healthy post-divorce relationship is like. Resolve never to speak badly of your child’s other parent in their presence and to focus on resolving issues constructively.
- Put yourself first more often. Getting what you need in terms of rest, exercise, and recreation make you a better parent, professional, and person.
- Stay positive and look forward, not back. While grief is a common and natural part of the divorce process, reminding yourself that there are better days ahead – and setting specific goals for the rest of your life – can help you navigate divorce with more resilience.
- Remain mindful of mistakes you’ve made in the past. Many divorced individuals have regrets. Instead of worrying or berating yourself, make a note of them – and choose to act differently if the same situation occurs again in the future.
- Let the “small stuff” go. A whole new life stands in front of you. Choosing not to get hung up on small problems will help you make the most of it.
The Law Office of Thomas M. Huguenor is dedicated to helping our clients envision and achieve a bright future. Contact us today to learn more.
You can reach us at (858) 458-9500.