blog home Child Custody Starting a Child Move-Away Case in the State of California

Starting a Child Move-Away Case in the State of California

Posted by Thomas Huguenor on October 6, 2014 in Child Custody

This is the first post in what will be a several post discussion on the process of relocating a child outside of California. In recent posts I have briefly touched on how move-away cases are impacted by special circumstances – such as being a military member. In this series I will provide a more in-depth discussion of what the full move-away process looks like from beginning to end. The instant discussion is meant to provide an outline of the upcoming topics.

If you are separated from the parent of your child and you wish to relocate your children outside of California then it is important to contact an experienced child custody attorney immediately. Many factors impact move-away cases. These include whether or not you have sole or joint custody, the quality of the relationship you have with your child, the relationship your child has with the other parent, and the reason you are moving. The most important thing to remember if you are planning to move with your child is that there are official channels that you must go through. If a current custody order is in place from a California court then you are required to ask the California court’s permission prior to relocating your child outside of the state. By speaking with a family law attorney you will quickly get an idea of how strong your case is, how long the process will take, and what steps you need to take in order to plan accordingly.

Move-away cases generally have several steps. In my next several posts I will be discussing what parents need to know regarding each step of the relocation process. I will address:

  • What steps a parent should take prior to contacting a family law attorney
  • How to file the initial the initial relocation request and what happens next
  • What the discovery process in a move-away case will consist of
  • What you need to know about attending the evidentiary hearing
  • What to know about life after a relocation case

Relocation cases vary in the amount of time they take. They can be resolved anywhere from a few months after being filed or they can be dragged out for years. If you wish to leave the state of California with your child then it is important to submit your request as soon as possible. Contact the San Diego law office of Thomas Huguenor today and receive a free consultation regarding the strength of your move-away case.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Custody

(858) 458-9500

Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C.
11455 El Camino Real, Suite 390
San Diego, California 92130
Office: (858) 458-9500
Fax: (858) 630-2341

Our Firm Services The Following California Areas:
San Diego, La Jolla, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, Rancho Santa Fe, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Pacific Beach, and Mission Beach.

Certified family law specialist by the State Bar of California's Board of Legal Specialization.

Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C. is a San Diego, California firm practicing exclusively in the area of domestic relations law. We handle a wide range of matters including divorce, child custody, and child support. Whatever your situation we can be of assistance. Feel free to contact us today.

Copyright © 2019 - Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C. All Rights Reserved. Blog Sitemap - Legal Marketing by: SLS Consulting