San Diego High Asset Divorce Attorney
Representation for Complex and High Profile Divorces
Not all divorces are the same. Some divorces in San Diego involve marital estate holdings, professional assets, retirement accounts, business ownership, complex trusts, and other complicated high-value assets. Even the most friendly of separations can lead to complicated proceedings when these types of assets are in play.
Anyone about to get divorced who has valuable assets should contact a San Diego high asset divorce lawyer experienced in these types of cases.
Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C. can help. Contact us at (858) 458-9500 to discuss your situation.
Distribution of Assets in San Diego
Divorces become difficult and drawn out when each spouse wants to keep certain assets. It's understandable for both parties to want a fair share of the assets, but it is often difficult to determine what is an equitable distribution of wealth.
First, it is necessary to work with financial experts to identify and evaluate complex assets. It's simple to determine the market value of a home, but other assets are much more complicated to figure out. Financial disagreements often arise about the value of:
- Business assets: An evaluation is often needed to determine to how much reimbursement or award each spouse is entitled.
- Retirement assets: It is necessary to review every contribution to retirement funds such as IRA and 401(k) accounts, and the source of those contributions.
- Hidden assets: There are many complicated cases in which one spouse tries to hide assets from the other. Even though both spouses are required under the law to fully disclose all their marital assets and debts such as bank accounts, military pensions, real estate, and retirement accounts, one of the parties may choose not to do so.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: Not all agreements are automatically enforceable. It is often necessary to take action to ensure that the agreements are honored.
- Property tax issues: When dividing a large estate, there are many tax implications to consider.
- Unauthorized transference: It is sometimes necessary for an attorney to prevent the transfer of property before an agreement is met between both parties.
San Diego High Asset Divorce Lawyers Protecting Your Rights
Certain assets, such as antiques, art, automobiles, and jewelry carry financial and sentimental value. It is important to determine the actual value of these items before any decisions are made. It is common for the negotiation process to become rough when personal items and family heirlooms get involved. If you have items that are particularly precious to you, make sure you have someone by your side that will fight for your best interests.
When assets in a divorce are significant or complex, it is critical that you have an experienced San Diego family law attorney on your side.
At Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C., we have experience dealing with valuation, negotiation, and litigation of complex divorce cases that involve high net worth.
We will use our extensive knowledge of the law to advocate on your behalf and ensure that your rights are protected every step of the way.
Contact us at (858) 458-9500 for a free confidential consultation.