Legal Assistance With Family Law Issues in San Diego
Whether You Face Contempt, Domestic Violence, or Mediation, We Can Help
Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C., deals with a variety of family-related conflicts for San Diego residents. Divorce and child custody aren’t the only domestic issues that impact people's lives. If you are facing any issue requiring the services of a family law lawyer in Southern California, call our office at (858) 458-9500 today.
Our firm has extensive experience in family law and has focused on it exclusively since 1972. Huguenor Mattis, A.P.C., is able to assist residents of the San Diego area with:
- Contempt of Court in Family Law Cases: Someone may be charged with contempt of court by refusing to obey a judge’s request, being excessively disruptive in court, or violating a court order. For instance, a parent fails to follow the terms of a child custody or visitation agreement. When a spouse refuses to meet the obligations of a support order, or violates a restraining order, he or she could also be charged with being in contempt of court. To get a conviction, it must be proven that the defendant willfully violated the particular court order. As a misdemeanor, a conviction for contempt can result in up to six months in jail and a fee.
- Domestic Violence: By law, domestic violence qualifies as a wide range of behaviors, including molestation, battery, stalking, making threats, or disturbance of the victim’s peace. If the courts determine that there is a previous history of domestic violence, they have the ability to deny that parent any custodial rights.
- Domestic Violence Hearings: Domestic Violence Hearings: In a domestic violence hearing, the courts will address the question as to whether there is sufficient evidence to grant the domestic violence victim a protective order. Victims in a domestic violence case can prepare for a hearing by collecting medical records during the time of abuse, providing a detailed account of the relationship with the abuser, and presenting any other relevant evidence.
- Family Law Mediation: For any family, going through a divorce, custody dispute, or other issue could permanently change the relationships. When a couple comes to a mutual decision that they want to work together during their divorce proceedings, it can make the process much easier on everyone. This is done through family law mediation, which is when an unbiased third party (a mediator) will review the details of the divorce agreement and help reach a solution that is satisfactory to both parties.
- Temporary Protective Orders: In domestic violence cases, one way victims can protect themselves from future danger is by obtaining a temporary protective order. This is a court-appointed mandate that requires the other person to refrain from any type of contact with the victim for around 2-3 weeks.
- Prenuptial Agreements and Postnuptial Agreements: Prenups and postnups are a means to protect the financial assets of each spouse. These legal contracts must have each party’s consent, and can clarify how property, retirement funds, debts, and resources will be divided in the event of a divorce.
These issues can have a dramatic impact on your life. Hiring an attorney who practices only family law ensures that no stone will be left unturned while we explore the legal issues you are facing.
There are numerous family law attorneys in San Diego, but few can hold themselves out as board-certified specialists like our firm’s founder, Thomas M. Huguenor. With education, knowledge, and more than four decades of experience, our office has a proud reputation of winning favorable outcomes for our clients. If you require assistance, please contact us online or call (858) 458-9500 to schedule your free consultation.